Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Diagnosis

The next day went rather quickly. It was hard to wait for the ultrasound that I really didn't want to have. I mean, what did it matter, I was going to keep my child no matter what the outcome, of that I was certain. I guess you have to give in and understand that you still have to have prenatal care, and part of that was going through this process. I had a very hard time listening to all the other expectant mothers, chatting about this and that, asking me if I was going to find out what I was having. It's hard to answer those questions when you know that in the ultrasound room you are going to find out if your little one will live or not. Other Mommies came in and out, sharing their pictures, "It's a Girl!" "It's a Boy!" "Look there's the face, the head, the toes...." It was a truly a relief when I was called back. The tech did the ultrasound, completely detached. I asked if her if she could please let me know the sex of the baby. I told her that we didn't get to that at the other ultrasound. I think she thought I was crazy, but she obliged. I walked out of the ultrasound with only two of the many pictures taken, I was going to have a boy!!!

They called me back into what seemed like a board room, asked me if I knew why I was there. Of course I did! This was the single most important day of my pregnancy to date! Long story short they confirmed the diagnosis and started to tell me my "options". I will never ever forget the look on this female doctor's face when I politely interrupted her and let her know I did not want to hear the options. I don't know if she really believed me, as she continued to try to hand me brochures about pregnancy termination through inducing pre-term labor (a nice way to say abortion). I pushed the brochures back across the table and reiterated that I did not want the "options", I wanted to know where we go from here. I told her I was a born-again Christian and that it is not my right or hers or any one's for that matter to decide when my son's life ended, it was God's and God's alone. I would carry my son until God saw fit. There was a young man in the room, he was an intern, I remember him because he gave me a reassuring nod and smile after I said that. I knew that there may be three or four doctor's in that room, but at least one person was listening to me. After some insulting remarks about why I would make that decision when my baby was going to just a be a vegetable, I was finally given a game plan for mine and my son's prenatal care.

If there is one passion I have it is that through education, doctors can become more aware of anencephaly, that they will take the opportunity to step outside of what their medical textbooks might say and look at every child as a human life. They said to me that I had "options", but only gave me one, termination. They never suggested I keep my son, didn't try to hand me a brochure about carrying a baby with anencephaly. I guess to them, "options" meant I had different options of how to terminate. To me the child I was carrying was MY SON, to them, it was a fetus that had no chance of survival outside the womb. I cannot imagine what decision I would have made if I did not have the convictions that I do as a Christian, or if I had not taken the time to find the information I did the night before. It angers me even now that doctor's would attempt to create such a sense of hopelessness rather than presenting all the possibilities. A life should never be considered invalid simply because it may not last as long as expected. (The soapbox I could get on about this, but moving on...)

I left that day with a diagnosis, but I also left with the assurance that my pregnancy would go on as normally as possible. I left that day knowing that I was having a son, and sure I didn't get to leave with the normal ultrasound pictures other Mommies get, but I had my two. Two pictures of his "boy parts", reminding me again that he was my little baby, he was perfect! Maybe not "perfect" in the eyes of some doctors, or what the world might call "perfect", but he was my perfect gift. God had made him perfectly for me! I left that day with the peace that my son would be loved here on Earth as long as God allowed, and then he would be brought to heaven to be surround with the love of our savior! He was a special little boy, a little boy that would only ever know a perfect, loving existence.

2 comments:

  1. I'm brand new to your blog. Bennett was very cute! He had the most beautiful mouth and such a cute chubby body. I admire your choice to continue your pregnancy and I hope you wont take this wrong, but it's a little harsh to say the "other choice" is so awful and Non Christian. I know many Christians who have compassionately chosen to disrupt their pregnancy out of love, not because it was a burden. I respect both choices under these sad circumstances, but it would be nice to see tolerance and acceptance go both ways. I do believe in options, but I would never ask you or someone who has carried to term why they did that, or say that they shouldn't have. I'm very sorry for your loss and I'm enjoying your blog, but I did want to point out that not all who interrupt are awful people who don't believe in God. I don't believe the loving God I know would ever damn someone to hell for being in this awful situation that no one should have to face. I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing. After reading your comment I went back and re-read what I wrote. I feel saddened that it comes across that I think making the choice to terminate is non-Christian or that I believe someone would be damned. I don't feel that way at all and have immense compassion for anyone in this type of situation. I know that sometimes there are Mommies that don't even have a choice and must interrupt their pregnancy or after they prayerfully consider their options they decide that continuing their pregnancy is not the right decision for their family. I hope if you re-read my indignation about the "options" it has to do with the fact that termination is often presented as the only "option". I have met Mommies that wished so badly the Drs. would have truly given her the choice to continue her pregnancy instead of saying there was no reason for her to do so. She just simply needed to decide how to terminate. I also know Mommies that have had to choose to end their pregnancy because the terminal diagnosis of their unborn child was dangerous for her and painful for her sweet baby. My passion lies in education and that every woman, no matter her beliefs, should be give ALL of her "options". I stand behind my decision because that was my personal conviction as a Christian, my personal way that I walked out my faith. I know that every single person's walk is different. I say all that to say that this is a blog and those were my convictions. They do not reflect what someone else's convictions are and certainly, to me, do not reflect that I am intolerant of someone else's choice. I am intolerant that the modern medical community can deem a "fetus" "incompatible with life" and be very harsh to those who decide to carry their babies. I sat at a table with a group of people who looked down at me and interrupted me many times to convince me that carrying my son was the wrong decision, that is was a silly decision, that it was pointless. My convictions were what allowed me to be strong and stand up for my son's life but that doesn't mean if another Mom makes the opposite decision she is weak. If that came across that I think those who decided to terminate are "awful" people, I am sorry, because I do not hold that belief. Thank you again for your comment and I hope you read my reply with understanding.

      Delete